Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Batter up- for cupcakes!

Things in the wedding word have quelled for me lately, though arguably I should be kicking it into high-gear about now. We are still in need of a photographer and a cake.

Wedding cakes are such a scam; the trend these days is to buy one made of Styrofoam, and then to serve sheet cakes to your guests. And this Styrofoam masterpiece you shell out for is for rent, so you have to return it a.s.a.p.

I suppose it doesn’t help that every cake I see on display locally looks dumb. They look like they were modeled in the 1960’s and never updated. I suppose that says something about my location.

But I have this dream of a cupcake tower. I've been debating the Cupcake v.s. Cake scenario for a while. I seriously do just want a buttload of cupcakes!


The bride and groom cut the little cake on top, and then the reception horde converges upon the tasty treats. Chocolate, vanilla- your choice. Fantasy?

Welp, while I'm dreaming, I'd like to just put this idea out there. I want to do it. Enlist the help of willing bridesmaids, and decorate cupcakes whith butter-cream icing. I got into this today; I looked up recipes and instructional how-to videos.

Making fondant cake flowers looks easy enough, heck, tons easier than I thought it would be.



This video shows how to apply frosting without any of those bumps and air bubbles.




It looks doable; and it's probably a heck of a lot cheaper than a cake. I'd have to do some serious pricing, but making your own cake mix always costs next to nothing.

-I'd order fancy cupcake wrappers; this one runs for $30.00 a set.


-Order pre-made fondant, which runs about $14.00 for 2 lbs. More than enough to make some little cake flowers!

And then make the icing. There are great recipes out there, ones that I have even tried before, so I'm not wholly unschooled. Am I dreaming? So far I have no support. Oh well. Look at the pretty pictures.



3 comments:

  1. Best idea ever. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do cake.....dunkin hines or betty crocker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ‎@ Kara: I know right!?? I'm totally pumped for it but I have no support. wtf are the bridesmaids for anyway!? XD

    Larry- You know you're just mad 'cuz you can't jump out of the top of the cake with nothing on but a speedo.

    ReplyDelete