Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake- On a Budget


I'm ashamed {sort of} to say that I have not thought of the wedding cake, mainly because I'm terrified of the price, and I have this little suspicion that they all taste like caca. Unless someone can prove otherwise, they are mostly composed of chalk and taste like sawdust.

Maybe we can do wedding flapjacks. Or crepes, I like crepes. BYOS {Bring Your Own Syrup}.

Honestly, I’d love to do cupcake tiers. That way, you can have as many flavors as you want and coordinate the icing colors with the wedding colors. Sound expensive? It probably is. I know that a tier cake purporting to feed about 175 people costs an average of $1050.00. {It’s true. The internets tell me so.}

I don’t know about you, but that’s enough to make my heart stop for a full 30 seconds. And then comes the nervous laughter- a joke, right? It can’t be that much. Oh, it is? What’s it made of? Because I’m sure we could sell them to China and bring down the country’s debt.

BH

3 comments:

  1. I reccomend finding a relative or friend that's into baking... ; ) worked for my sister. The cake was beautiful AND it tasted good. Who would have thought that was possible? by the way, at the mention of spending over a thousand dollars on a cake I broke out in a cold sweat and decided right then and there that if I ever get married we're doing 'build your own ice-cream sundays' and nixing this stupid cake tradition. Who needs it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could host a baking epic in my apartment. Like Ace of Cakes but better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walmart actually has a good selection of wedding cakes that are pretty but not ostentatious, and rather inexpensive. You could probably get a cake to feed 175 for $200 or less! I think my sister got her wedding cake from there, and it was closer to $100 :D

    Try calling or visiting some local bakeries to see if they have any deals!

    ReplyDelete