Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Italian Wedding Tradition #1: Almond Thingies!

So I came across a list of Italian traditions. They were listed on this blog.

My fiancé is Italian {well, it's the only nationality he will claim for himself anyway,} and we've already had a few, albeit expected, cultural snags.

Him: "Make sure you get those almond thingies."

Me: "Huh?"

Him: "You put five almonds in a bag and put them on every plate at the reception. It's tradition!"

Me: "Are you making this up?"

Apparently he was not, but the correct name for his desired "almond thingies" are Jordan Almonds.
Five, sugar-coated almonds are placed in a favor bag/box. They represent good luck, I guess. I wish I knew more about it, because it seems so random. Plus, the cost concerns me a little. I'm rather anti wedding-favors because I think they are stupid most of the time, and it hikes up the price of things.

I can guarantee that one of my uncles will put them up his nose, and project them as far across the table as he can. I come from a long line of WASPs. You can't expect much from us.

2 comments:

  1. They even come in a metallic gold casing, Becky! Some extra shimmer for you unethnic WASPs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I saw those once. I thought they were beads or something. Most people wouild not imagine them edible. XD

    ReplyDelete