Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Registry Strike-Out

I think people would rightly soil themselves if they saw the china pattern we originally put on our registry. We went into Bed Bath & Beyond, and they pulled out a book full of patterns with no prices next to them. Why? Oh, they say, they are all around the same price. They tell us to pick one we like, so we do.

And then we find out that it’s $100.00 a place setting. We wanted 8 settings. We spent a good amount of time looking for something else, and replaced it with a pattern that’s around $79.99 a setting. That doesn’t include platters or anything, but I’ve resigned myself to hunting down the rest of the set throughout our marriage. One platter alone costs around $170.00, so maybe not. I’ll probably buy food instead.

It's a pretty pattern: Cocoa Blossom by Mikasa.


And here is one of the platters. They are much more detailed and aesthetically pleasing.


My fiancĂ©'s parents went on and on about how they got such a good deal on their china set, and then said “but we’ve never used it in the 26 years we’ve been married.” Which begs the question: why? I suppose having nice chnia is just one of those symbolic things about forming a new household. Or maybe just something to scream at your kids about when they break a plate.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, formal place settings are $$$$. I ended up registering for casual place settings (16 p. set for $50) that will be useful and practical. I'm buying by own formal dining ware piece-by-piece on my own. I'd rather that people got me things I can use immediately than spending an arm and a leg on a plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and elegant design! So, will you actually be using these, or shall they gather dust in a display case?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the key to china is to use it when you feel like using it. We use it whenever we have people over to dinner, even if it's not really a formal occasion. You can always use it when it's just the two of you, just to make dinner a little fancier, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope they don't gather dust....I'll bust them out for potato chips. Classssy.

    ReplyDelete